Multiple Modes of Transportation
Container intermodal is the process of transport the freight containers using multiple modes of transport without the handling of freight itself. It is important to know the intermodal container before starting a business of transporting cargo. An intermodal container is a high capacity reusable steel box which is used to store and transport cargo securely. Intermodal stands for different modes of transportation. Most of the cases the ISO standard containers are used in container intermodal process.
Types of intermodal container:
There are different types of container intermodal depending on the use and types of cargo to be transported.
- The common type of container in the intermodal transport is the dry freight container. The size of such containers is generally ranges from 20 feet to 40 feet of length. There may be other variations of the dry freight containers depending on the height and breadth.
- The other type of the intermodal container is high cube container. This allows extra feet of height. The high cube container also is called the HQ or HC container and used for container homes as it adds some extra height allowing open space internally.
There are other types of intermodal containers as follows:
- Collapsible containers
- Gas bottles
- Dry van for general purposes
- High-cube pallet wide containers
- Shipping containers with insulation
- Containers having refrigeration unit
- Open-top bulk containers for transport cargo in bulk
- Platform containers
- Rolling-floor containers for difficult-to-handle cargo
- Swap bodycontainers
- Tank containers to transport dangerous items
- Ventilated containers for organic products requiring ventilation
At the locations where stacking load is in deal, stacking containers are used. They are generally 40 feet in length and different breadth sizes may be stacked over at 40 feet coupling width. The coupling holes are all female in nature and it takes a double male twist lock to securely mate container stacks together.
Marks to be reported:
In the intermodal transport the containers must be marked according to the international loading unit which is essential to know the cargo type, loading capacity and many other things related to the container intermodal process. Each container should be ISO reporting marked before using for the intermodal transportation of cargo.
Benefits of intermodal transport:
In the intermodal transport process of cargo the expert and efficient professional offer the part a good number of advantageous services. They offer the solutions:
- The intermodal transport is more flexible than other type of transportation because this process involves the freight of cargo in different modes.
- As the process involves the use of the reusable containers, the investment will be reduced.
- As this process offers bulk shipment at once, the energy consumption is also decreased.
- It offers less road congestion over the busy cities.
- It promotes improved and effective capacity planning
- It offers high frequency connections between the cities and the outer periphery
- This intermodal container transportation process involves the transport of perishable and dangerous items safely. So it is more reliable way of cargo transportation in all places.
Due to the advantages container intermodal transportation process gets priority over other type of cargo shipment.